During the first decade of the 20th century, Mr. Henry Cues (1904–1906), the first deputy commissioner (D.C.) of Lyallpur (now Faisalabad), established a social club where the British officers serving in “Sandal Bar” could gather at their leisure. In December 1909, Captain Dugglis was appointed as new D.C. of Lyallpur.
The club is the focal point of the western culture in the absence of which westerners feel as fish without water. However a day dawned for this historic event.
The club was built for off-duty British officers and the cost of construction was paid for by the officers themselves. 36 club hungry persons sat together to collect individual funds to plant a club. The individual maximum contributing figure was Rs.500 the minimum contribution was Rs.10 Thus a meager amount of Rs.2591 was collected.
In March 1910, the club was established in Qaisary Bagh (Now Company Bagh/Jinnah Garden). The land for this purpose was acquired from Irrigation Department. The land of the club is 72 Kanals. The club was established in 1910 and ever since has been promoting social, cultural and sports activities in the region for the last more than 100 years. It has around 3500 members. It is situated in the heart of the city. It is at a distance of 01 Kms from the Railway Station and 13 Kms from the Airport. As regards the level of excellence and adequacy required of international norms, the Chenab club conforms to all the requisite standards measured by any yardstick. It may confidently be vouchsafed as a symbol of high social order.
There are two distinct epochs in the century – old existence of the club viz. before partition (1910 – 1947) and the post partition (1947- to date). Regardless of this division, it has always been a centre of gravitation for a variety of social, cultural, sports and other recreational activities in town. Up to the year 1942, the membership of the club was restricted to the white members of the (crown) civil service. In 1942 when the mysterious curtain surrounding the club and it inmates, was slightly lifted when few Indian, for the first time, were admitted in the club excepting three Muslims, two Hindus all the rest were Sikhs including Sardar Balwanat Singh a graduate from Oxford University.
Afterwards the native elite began to be inducted on the club roll. Over the years, the club membership has assumed a distinctive group character with major groups being those of businessmen, doctors, professors, lawyers, intellectuals and government officers. After the independence, 1947 there came a wave of widening club membership. A new dimension of a very high order was introduced in 1960, in club life intellectuals + literary activities under English influence. A tiny humorous and satirical journal in the club, entitled as the “Chenab Chatter” Claiming that I contained facts, Fancy, Sense, Nonsense, of the Chenab Club.
Its life period was short but its influence widely enlivening, rather hilarious. A bright break through towards intellectual activities in the historic, rich, memorable of 1960 when Indo-Pakistan mushairas found footing and popular response of the club members. During that high pitch period top-notch intellectuals visited the club to introduce Talent Display in the club atmosphere. Amongst the visitors were Qurat ul Ain Haider, Mushtaq Usafi, Abdullah Hussain Bilraj Mehra, Jelani Kamran, Wazir Agha, Shahzad Qaiser, Partoo Roheela, Porf. Irshad Ahmad Khan, Dr. Mubasher Hasan, Dr. Mubarak Ahmad, Nelofer Bakhtiar, Ata ul Haq Qasmi, Munnu Bhai, Mustansar Hussain Tarar.
After the independence 1960’s, literature, music, mushaira and intellectual moots became the focus of club activities besides sports, exhibitions and indoor chatting. Golf, polo, dancing and bar were gradually deleted from the charter of club activities and now lawn tennis, squash, billiards, badminton and swimming have become the official sports of the club instead of golf and polo.
Earlier expansion of the building had started in the mid 1950’s which continues to date to meet the requirements of an ever growing enrolment. Presently the club has beautiful club buildings including sports complex, restaurants, lounges, auditorium and 40 guest rooms.
226 total views, 1 views today